As a Staff Accountant with Freed Maxick & Battaglia, you will be part of Western New York’s largest public accounting firm, also named one of WNY’s Best Places to Work by Buffalo Business First in 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010.
In this role, you will perform accounting services and the detail work of financial audits and tax engagements under the direction of Senior Accountants, Managers, Senior Managers and Directors. You will assist in preparing financial statements and tax returns.In client assignments, Staff Accountants work as a member of the engagement team, under the supervision of the In-Charge Accountant. The Staff Accountant’s function in client assignments is primarily that of performing assigned tasks to assist in the completion of the engagements.
Staff Accountants start at Freed Maxick & Battaglia with a group of other recent college graduates. The Firm provides orientation and training, as well as the necessary continuing professional education (CPE) to maintain an active CPA license, and/or meet the requirements of the AICPA. In addition, employees are offered the opportunity to develop professionally through Firm seminars and other courses, such as local, regional and self-study courses. In-house training programs are given regularly which cover a wide range of subjects, including those which are applicable to a specific industry or discipline.
At the time of hire, Staff Accountants are assigned a Performance Advisor, who provides feedback and works with you to set and achieve career goals. Employees are evaluated on a regular basis and meet with their Performance Advisor to discuss the results of the evaluations.
In addition to the Performance Advisor, Freed Maxick & Battaglia offers a “buddy system” to ease the transition of Staff Accountants into their role. This program pairs you with a go-to person to help you acclimate to the professional services environment. The buddy is not your supervisor, but rather an employee close to the same level within the company who can offer insight into any given area.
With over 250 employees in Buffalo, Batavia and Rochester, FMB offers limitless opportunities. Isn’t it time you Take Your Career to the Max?
- Develop efficiency and a business-like approach in the performance of assigned duties
- Obtain a thorough understanding of the work to be performed and the purpose of the work
- Provide current information on progress in an assigned task to the immediate supervising person, and suggest improvements to accomplish the purposes of the task
- Perform functional tests and prepare workpapers which adequately document those tests
- Manage time within limits of budgets or other criteria if possible
- Establish a habit of accuracy and promptness in preparing administrative reports and of compliance with the Firm’s administrative procedures
- Prepare for taking and passing the CPA exam
- Present a professional image, network with other professionals
- Strive for good client relationships
- Create and maintain good relationships with Firm personnel
- Be alert for opportunities where the Firm’s special services may be used; we value your ideas!
- Proactively seek opportunities for professional development and self-improvement to further develop expertise and a career in public accounting