One of the best things about living and working in Western New York, is that we have four beautiful seasons. That also means that we have four beautiful seasons to enjoy the many offerings of our region… such as the natural wonder of Niagara Falls.
Old Falls Street in downtown Niagara Falls, NY, has recently unveiled their 2013 schedule of activities. There are numerous things to do for tastes and interests of all kinds, so be sure to check out the schedule and see what you may like to explore this year!
OLD FALLS STREET, USA, RELEASES 2013 SCHEDULE OF ACTIVITIES
Street Goes Wi-Fi; New Sous Chef, Weekly Food Truck Offerings, New Programming Added
Old Falls Street, USA, the historic three-block destination in Downtown Niagara Falls NY, has released its Schedule of Activities for the 2013 Season. Most activities are presented free of charge while promising “Food, Festivals and Fun…Just Footsteps from Niagara Falls!”
For the first time in its history, Old Falls Street is presenting its Wi-Fi Café, near the Comfort Inn – The Point, closest to the entrance of Niagara Falls State Park. The café, complete with newly redesigned vending carts and umbrella tables, will allow guests a scenic place to enjoy lunch while being able to surf the Internet this summer season.
“We are happy to feature wi-fi Internet capabilities for guests of Old Falls Street this year,” said Global Spectrum’s Ryan Coate, general manager of Old Falls Street and The Conference & Event Center Niagara Falls. “This addition, which will be up an running by the beginning of June 2013, will undoubtedly be a welcomed feature for those dining with us in the afternoon.”
Another new addition is Kate Elliott, Old Falls Street’s new sous chef, who is bringing a fresh approach to the street’s food vending. Elliott, a Western New York native and former Nickel City Chef contestant, is the former executive chef at Merge and Juniper restaurants in Buffalo, NY. Elliott’s unique style blends Western New York favorites with traditional street food, and vegetarian options as well. This summer, menu items will include a variety of poutines, sliders, sandwich wraps and tacos.
Old Falls Street is also bringing the best of Western New York’s food trucks onto the street on Monday and Tuesday afternoons, featuring Amy’s Truck on Mondays and The Roaming Buffalo on Tuesdays. Ooh La La Fashion Truck, a mobile retail store vending women’s fashions, will also be featured on Tuesday afternoons.
In addtion to a fresh new approach to food vending, Old Falls Street will feature the following Schedule of Summer Actvities in 2013:
- • ENCOUNTER NIAGARA REENACTORS – Meet Niagara’s most infamous historical figures as Encounter Niagara allows guests to interact with Nikola Tesla, Annie Edson Taylor, Augustus Porter, The Great Blondin and many others. Encounter Niagara Reenactors will be on Old Falls Street on Wednesday afternoons, from July 10 through Aug. 28, from Noon to 3 p.m.
- • RIDE NIAGARA BIKE RENTALS providing equipment and supplies to make a self-guided bicycle tour through the area fun, safe and memorable. Ride Niagara bicycles will be available for rent on the Park Block closest to the entrance of Niagara Falls State Park. Visit www.FallsStreet.com for a full schedule and pricing.
- • BACKYARD BOARD GAMES – Summer Season – Afternoons, Middle Block
Try your luck at larger-than-life versions of the most popular family games. Challenge friends or sit and relax on Old Falls Street’s Adirondack chairs.
- • JAZZY SUNDAYS – Sponsored by Legends Bar & Grill, this new free live music series features performances by the region’s greatest jazz, Dixieland and big band musicians, each Sunday afternoon, July 7 through Aug. 25, from 2 to 5 p.m., on Old Falls Street’s Middle Block. The series is “leashed-pet” friendly and also features Encounter Niagara’s historical reenactors.
- • FLICKS ON OLD FALLS MOVIE SERIES – Bring the family to this free weekly movie series featuring free classic and contemporary movies under the stars. Movies are presented each Thursday from July 11 through August 29, beginning at 9 p.m., on Old Falls Street’s Middle Block. For a movie schedule, visit www.FallsStreet.com.
- • FRIDAYS ON OLD FALLS CONCERT SERIES – Sponsored by Legends Bar & Grill, this free concert series features the area’s finest classic rock and dance bands, each Friday from June 29 to Aug. 31, from 7 to 10 p.m. Guests are encouraged to remain until 10 p.m. when fireworks are launched over Niagara Falls. For a series line-up, visit www.FallsStreet.com.
OLD FALLS STREET’S 2013 SPECIAL EVENTS include:
- • LECTURES & BOOK SIGNINGS– These free events are featured on Old Falls Street’s Park Block
- Jennifer Pharr Davis – Nationally renoun hiker – Wednesday, June 19, 6:30 p.m. This lecture is presented in collaboration with Niagara Falls State Park and sponored by the Comfort Inn – The Pointe.
- Christopher Stoainoff – Niagara Falls City Historian and co-author of “Niagara Falls 1850-2000” – Wednesday, Aug. 21, 2 p.m.
- • NFFD MOTORCYCLE RUN AFTER PARTY – Saturday Afternoon, June 22, on Old Falls Street’s Park Block
Join the Niagara Falls Fire Department at the end point of their 8th Annual Motorcycle Run for charity. Everyone is welcome to tour the street filled with motorcycles, live music, food, drinks and merchandise vending.
- • NIAGARA FALLS MUSIC & ART FESTIVAL – Saturday, June 29 through Sunday, June 30, 11 a.m. – 11 p.m.
Experience the greatest of Western New York’s art scene with more than 50 local artists and dozens of live bands performing on three stages. Food and merchandise vending will also be featured throughout the weekend. The festival, marking its first time on Old Falls Street, is free and open to the public. For more information, visit www.festivalatthefalls.com.
- • TOUCH-A-TRUCK – Saturday Aug. 10, 2 to 5 p.m. – Middle Block / Sponsored by KeyBank on Pine Avenue in Niagara Falls
Climb into a fire truck, emergency vehicles, maintenance vehicles and other larger-than-life trucks to see how first-responders and street technicians spend their days. Free family activities will also be featured.
- • 6th ANNUAL NIAGARA FALLS BLUES FESTIVAL – One of the largest events of its kind returns to Old Falls Street during Labor Day Weekend. More than a dozen blues bands will play throughout this three-day festival including Eddy “The Chief” Clearwater, Mississippi Heat, Bill “The Sauce Boss” Wharton, Cheryl Arena, Richard Ray Farrell, Donnie “Mr. Downtown” Walsh, Mahajibee Blues Band, and many local and regional entertainers. Food, craft and barbecue vendors will also be featured. Spend Sunday morning at the Blues Gospel Brunch. All activities are free and open to the public. Please, no coolers. Support the vendors, who help keep the festival free. For more information, visit www.niagarafallsbluesfest.org.
- • OKTOBERFEST – Saturday, Oct. 13, from 12 to 9 p.m.
This 4th Annual Oktoberfest benefits the Downtown Niagara Falls Business Association and features live entertainment by the Bergholz German Band, the German-American Musicians, and the Edelweiss Dancers, street vending, authentic German cuisine, beer and wine.
- • MONSTER MASH BREAKFAST – Saturday, Oct. 28, from 9 a.m. to 12 noon
One of Old Falls Street’s most popular family events, this 4th Annual “monster-size” Halloweeen party is held inside The Conference & Event Center Niagara Falls. Reservations are strongly encouraged at (716) 278-2100.
- • OLD FALLS STREET’S ITALIAN FEAST – Thursday,
This 4th Annual event is held inside The Conference & Event Center Niagara Falls and features an authentic Italian buffet and live music. Call (716) 278-2100 for tickets.
- • HOLIDAY TREE ILLUMINATION – Witness Old Falls Street sparkle this holiday season as all three blocks of trees are illuminated in thousands of LED lights. For more information, visit www.FallsStreet.com
- • STUFF-A-BUS FOOD DRIVE – In the spirit of the holiday season, this 4th Annual community-wide effort collects non-perishable food items to benefit the Community Mission of the Niagara Frontier. For more information, visit www.FallsStreet.com.
- • BREAKFAST WITH SANTA – Saturday, Dec. 7, from 8:30 a.m. to 12 noon
Meet “The Jolly One” himself inside The Conference & Event Center Niagara Falls, complete with a deluxe breakfast buffet and other interactive holiday activities. Reservations are strongly encouraged at (716) 278-2100.
For more information or to download a full 2013 Schedule of Events, visit www.FallsStreet.com.
About OLD FALLS STREET, USA: Old Falls Street, USA, managed by Global Spectrum, is a historic three-block destination that conveniently connects the entrance of Niagara Falls State Park with the Conference & Event Center, the Seneca Niagara Casino & Hotel and other Downtown Niagara Falls, NY attractions. Serving as the “Welcome Center” for residents and visitors alike, the dynamic thoroughfare provides spaces for daily vending and special activities including concerts, festivals and holiday activities. Additional information can be found on their website at www.FallsStreet.com.