Freed Maxick CPAs, P.C., a Top 100 Firm in the U.S., has an immediate opening for a Chief Operating Officer (COO) in their downtown Buffalo office, to oversee operations in all offices.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) will report directly to the Managing Director (MD). He/she, while working for the MD, will work with the Executive Committee (EC) as well as other directors involved in various administrative functions to help implement the Firm’s strategic and tactical plan.
The COO will play an integral role as a key member of the Firm’s Executive Leadership Team and will participate in Director and Executive Committee meetings. He/she will be the right hand of the MD helping oversee day-to-day operations at all offices, and oversee certain services areas as defined below. This will include providing leadership and management to ensure that the organization has the proper operational controls, administrative support, and resources in place to achieve the goals and benchmarks identified by the strategic plan and provide the oversight to implement the tactics of that plan in a way that will facilitate high performance, financial strength and operational efficiency.
The areas for which the COO will have direct responsibility for are the firm’s Internal Finance function, Marketing, Human Resources and IT.
- Lead and direct, with coordination through the MD, all business operations and facilitate advancement and execution across the Firm for the Firm’s strategic objectives while ensuring appropriate administrative support to Firm leadership.
- Development of administrative goals and policies supporting the Firm’s vision and priorities. Regularly evaluate all administrative and support functions, revise policies, procedures and staffing configuration as necessary.
- Acting on the strategic direction of the firm (as provided by the Executive Committee and supported by the MD), the COO will advise and implement required operational changes necessary to achieve those objectives. He/she will also support Firm leadership by conducting identified analysis, due diligence on various projects, providing recommendations on operational changes to provide consistency across the Firm, and assist with new business opportunities including mergers and lateral acquisitions.
- Serve as a strategic business partner and trusted advisor to the Firm’s Leadership as a whole, to provide regular analysis and evaluation regarding operational issues as well as industry and competitive conditions, all geared toward the development and execution of Firm strategies.
- Serve as a liaison between all Firm offices and align all administrative functions and initiatives with the Firm’s strategy and encourage/facilitate cross function initiatives as necessary
- Oversee an experienced CHRO who has responsibilities for day-to-day human resource management and reporting
- Build and support the organization’s talent functions, including workforce planning, talent acquisition, onboarding, professional development, performance management, compensation and benefits, training, HR operations (process/policy/systems) and employee engagement to support our strategic plan
- Review, develop and implement best-in-class HR practices that support the organization’s culture, growth, and diversity/equity/inclusion objectives
- Assist MD and Firm leadership in evaluations, compensation, tracking results, accumulating pertinent information and assist in the individual goal setting that connect with the firm vision and firm goals
Financial oversight and planning:
- Oversee an experienced CFO who has responsibilities for day-to-day financial management and reporting
- Ensure strong financial oversight and long-term planning, manage cash flow and forecasting, lead the budget development process, serve as a liaison to the Finance committee, and ensure financial policies and controls are properly implemented across the organization
- Negotiation of vendor contracts, including but not limited to those pertaining to professional liability insurance, equipment, office leases, etc., as well as maintaining insurance, banking and other vendor relationships.
- Oversee the firm’s administrative and internal support functions and personnel
- Create consistency with all internal administrative support across all offices
- Manage Firm facilities in order to ensure a supportive work environment for Firm employees and a welcoming environment for Firm clients and guests
- Ensure timely building maintenance and serve as point-of-contact for landlords, vendors, and contractors, and explore the expansion of facilities, as needed
- Develop and implement strong systems for communicating information to Firm staff, including new and revised policies, organizational challenges, accomplishments, and updates, and other information that all employees need in order to be successful
- Oversee an experienced CMO who has responsibilities for day-to-day marketing initiatives and reporting
- Work collaboratively with Firm leadership and the marketing team to create marketing strategy that will support the firm’s strategic plan
- Work with the Firm’s marketing team to align business development and marketing initiatives with the growth goals of the Firm both firm-wide and at the practice group levels.
- Work with IT to ensure effective implementation and maintenance of software and hardware, and investigate and suggest technology improvements to increase organizational effectiveness and efficiency, in collaboration with the organization’s CIO
- Facilitate and improve the firm’s learning environment, leveraging technology where applicable in that developmental process
The best candidate will be a successful senior-level administrative professional with a demonstrated record of leadership in both operations and finance for a professional services organization, and will have at least ten years of relevant management and operations experience.
This position requires an experienced leader with high ethical standards and an extensive administrative background. The candidate must have proven experience in formulating policy, developing new strategies and implementing procedures. As well, he/she must have an ability to make administrative, procedural decisions, good judgment, and foster a cooperative work environment. This position requires an individual who can demonstrate sound technical skills, analytical ability, and strong operational focus. It requires a well-organized, interpersonal, and self-directed individual who is a team player who has the ability to articulate and relate to people at all levels of an organization and who has the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
The candidate must:
- possess excellent oral, written, communication, and presentation skills;
- have an ability to effectively present facts and recommendations;
- have experience in developing long-term plans and programs and to evaluate work accomplishments;
- be able to apply and adapt practices and techniques to the special requirements of Firm leadership;
- be able to establish and maintain effective relationships with other management staff, employees, and the general public;
- be regarded as a confidant and trusted advisor by her/his team and the leadership team; and
- be viewed across the organization as a problem-solver who can quickly and proactively help to address a range of obstacles to employee success.
Education and Certifications: Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or related field is required. CPA, PAFM or Master’s Degree preferred.
Qualified candidates should send cover letter, resume and requested salary range in confidence to email@example.com.
Visit our website to learn more about us. www.freedmaxick.com