Freed Maxick advises public and private companies on ways to enhance profitability, save taxes, improve accountability and reduce risk. We specialize in helping our clients discover and achieve their bottom-line potential and we provide sound business advice based upon our depth of services vast experience in a broad array of industries.
Freed Maxick CPAs, P.C., a Top 100 Firm in the U.S. and a Top 50 Firm as Ranked by Vault, has opportunities at the Senior/Supervisor and Manager level for SALT experts.
Located in Western New York, we have specialized opportunities FOR LOCAL OR REMOTE TALENT.
About The Job
As a Manager, your role will include:
- Managing, coordinating and overseeing State and Local Income, Sales & Use and Property tax work as part of our growing tax practice
- Oversight and heavy involvement is various state and local tax projects, including nexus studies and acquisition due diligence.
- Involvement in decision making process pertaining to the direction and growth of the state and local tax practice.
- Formulating and delivering innovative tax planning and tax savings strategies and going to market with these opportunities
- Generating SALT opportunities within our existing client base
- Developing and managing client relationships
- Completing multiple, simultaneous engagements within deadline timeframes
- Researching and consulting on complex tax matters
- Coaching and managing staff, providing opportunities to learn and succeed
- Recognizing complex technical issues, evaluating facts efficiently, and using strategic decision-making skills to assist management in solving problems
- Ensuring top quality client service and overseeing client service performance of staff
- Recognizing needs and issues pertinent to client activity and demonstrating ownership of engagement’s day-to-day tasks and activities.
- Developing referral sources, which may include involvement in community, social, business, and professional organizations, as well as Alumni functions
- Increasingly developing understanding of how to identify market opportunities; assisting senior leadership in identify marketing and sales opportunities
- Positively representing and actively promoting the Firm
What We Are Looking For
- BS/MBA in Accounting
- 6 – 10 years of progressive management experience
- State and Local tax experience at a manager level
- Excellent writing, communication and tax research skills
- Business development skills
- Able to grow and manage client relationships
About The Job
As a Senior/Supervisor, your role will include:
- Preparing and filing income tax returns using Prosystems as well as other tools that support a paperless document management system
- Researching issues pertaining to all matters of state and local taxation.
- Heavy involvement is state and local tax projects, including nexus studies and acquisition due diligence.
- Responding to client inquiries
- Identifying basic client accounting and/or tax issues and can research/resolve them
- Preparing supporting work papers (apportionment, state/federal difference etc.) for state income tax returns
- Preparing state quarterly estimated tax payments
- Responding to notices and information requests issued by various taxing authorities
The Senior/Supervisor role is the bridge between the staff, who are executing the client-service related tasks, and management, who are strategizing and overseeing successful completion of efficient engagement activity and top quality client service.
The Senior/Supervisor is expected to develop confidence with his/her role, to become fully acclimated to a supervisory position, where he/she may be in charge of the day-to-day activity on multiple engagements and/or supervising multiple team members. The Senior/Supervisor increasingly needs to be able to perform the most complex technical tasks of the engagement and work more and more with less supervision.
What We Are Looking For
- BS or MBA in Accounting
- CPA or CPA track
- 3 to 4 years of public accounting experience
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of state and local tax laws, rules, regulations, and supporting authorities
- Ability to handle complex assignments and take a lead role in developing/reviewing the work of less experienced staff.
- Understanding of basic accounting and financial reporting issues
- Ability to communicate issues and solutions verbally and in writing
- Ability to multi-task, producing an appropriate volume of work with high attention to detail, in a results-driven, team oriented environment.
- Strong computer and technical skills
Freed Maxick hires the most qualified people available and gives them maximum opportunity to advance!
What Freed Maxick Offers
- An attractive compensation and benefit package
- A friendly work environment with the largest firm in WNY based on number of CPAs
- The opportunity to grow the practice and build a book of business with the experts in the field and an incentive program providing commissions on new business
- Promotion and advancement opportunities
- Ongoing education to keep your technical skills sharp
- Unique sociable culture
- Flexible scheduling
- Hybrid and Remote work environment
- Dedicated FreedTIME provided to give back to the community along with several volunteer opportunities