SALT Experts – Senior/Supervisor and Manager
Freed Maxick advises public and private companies on ways to enhance profitability, save taxes, improve accountability and reduce risk. We specialize in helping our clients discover and achieve their bottom-line potential and we provide sound business advice based upon our depth of services vast experience in a broad array of industries.
Freed Maxick CPAs, P.C., a Top 100 Firm in the U.S. and a Top 50 Firm as Ranked by Vault, has opportunities at the Senior/Supervisor and Manager level for SALT experts.
Located in Western New York, we have specialized opportunities FOR LOCAL OR REMOTE TALENT.
About The Job
As a Manager, your role will include:
- Managing, coordinating and overseeing State and Local Income, Sales & Use and Property tax work as part of our growing tax practice
- Oversight and heavy involvement is various state and local tax projects, including nexus studies and acquisition due diligence.
- Involvement in decision making process pertaining to the direction and growth of the state and local tax practice.
- Formulating and delivering innovative tax planning and tax savings strategies and going to market with these opportunities
- Generating SALT opportunities within our existing client base
- Developing and managing client relationships
- Completing multiple, simultaneous engagements within deadline timeframes
- Researching and consulting on complex tax matters
- Coaching and managing staff, providing opportunities to learn and succeed
- Recognizing complex technical issues, evaluating facts efficiently, and using strategic decision-making skills to assist management in solving problems
- Ensuring top quality client service and overseeing client service performance of staff
- Recognizing needs and issues pertinent to client activity and demonstrating ownership of engagement’s day-to-day tasks and activities.
- Developing referral sources, which may include involvement in community, social, business, and professional organizations, as well as Alumni functions
- Increasingly developing understanding of how to identify market opportunities; assisting senior leadership in identify marketing and sales opportunities
- Positively representing and actively promoting the Firm
What We Are Looking For
- BS/MBA in Accounting
- 6 – 10 years of progressive management experience
- State and Local tax experience at a manager level
- Excellent writing, communication and tax research skills
- Business development skills
- Able to grow and manage client relationships
About The Job
As a Senior/Supervisor, your role will include:
- Preparing and filing income tax returns using Prosystems as well as other tools that support a paperless document management system
- Researching issues pertaining to all matters of state and local taxation.
- Heavy involvement is state and local tax projects, including nexus studies and acquisition due diligence.
- Responding to client inquiries
- Identifying basic client accounting and/or tax issues and can research/resolve them
- Preparing supporting work papers (apportionment, state/federal difference etc.) for state income tax returns
- Preparing state quarterly estimated tax payments
- Responding to notices and information requests issued by various taxing authorities
The Senior/Supervisor role is the bridge between the staff, who are executing the client-service related tasks, and management, who are strategizing and overseeing successful completion of efficient engagement activity and top quality client service.
The Senior/Supervisor is expected to develop confidence with his/her role, to become fully acclimated to a supervisory position, where he/she may be in charge of the day-to-day activity on multiple engagements and/or supervising multiple team members. The Senior/Supervisor increasingly needs to be able to perform the most complex technical tasks of the engagement and work more and more with less supervision.
What We Are Looking For
- BS or MBA in Accounting
- CPA or CPA track
- 3 to 4 years of public accounting experience
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of state and local tax laws, rules, regulations, and supporting authorities
- Ability to handle complex assignments and take a lead role in developing/reviewing the work of less experienced staff.
- Understanding of basic accounting and financial reporting issues
- Ability to communicate issues and solutions verbally and in writing
- Ability to multi-task, producing an appropriate volume of work with high attention to detail, in a results-driven, team oriented environment.
- Strong computer and technical skills
Freed Maxick hires the most qualified people available and gives them maximum opportunity to advance!
What Freed Maxick Offers
- An attractive and competitive compensation and benefit package
- A friendly work environment with the largest firm in WNY based on number of CPAs
- An incentive program for commissions on new business, and referral bonuses for introducing potential new employees
- Promotion and advancement opportunities
- Ongoing education to keep your technical skills sharp and your soft skills top-notch
- Unique sociable culture
- Flexible scheduling opportunities
- Hybrid work environment
- Compensated time to volunteer in the community