Freed Maxick advises public and private companies on ways to enhance profitability, save taxes, improve accountability and reduce risk. We specialize in helping our clients discover and achieve their bottom-line potential and we provide sound business advice based upon our depth of services vast experience in a broad array of industries.
Located in Western New York, we have specialized opportunities FOR LOCAL OR REMOTE TALENT to focus on and specialize in NFP Tax Return Review.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Tax Manager specialized in NFP tax returns to assist with management and business development of the Firm’s exempt organizations group.
The NFP tax group provides tax compliance and advisory services to NFP Organizations, Private Foundations, Public Charities, Religious, Pension Trust/Benefit Plans and other charitable and tax-exempt organizations. Our compliance services include the preparation of 990, 990-T, 990-PF, and others.
We are a Top 100 Firm in the US and a Top 50 Firm as ranked by Vault, with remote CPAs across the country.
- Prepares and reviews tax payments, returns, and perform all accounting functions to arrive at a complete set of records.
- Completes tax forms in accordance with policies and in compliance with both federal and state legislation and regulations.
- Knowledgeable in following changes to tax regulations and laws.
- Recommend tax strategies that comply with laws
- Prepares accounting records, including financial statements and other financial reports, to assess accuracy, and completeness.
- Prepares Exempt Organization Form 990, 990-EZ, NY CHAR-500
- Helps taxpayers by using their federal, state and local codes and see to it that clients receive the maximum benefit permitted under law
- Uncover potential deductions and credits.
- Review financial records such as income statements and documentation of expenditures.
- Interview clients to get a thorough picture of financial situation.
- Resolve client tax notices.
- Recommend additional products and services.
- Reviews returns prepared by others as needed.
- Evaluates business set of records (Balance Sheet and Income Statement) for fair presentation and balances we can be confident in along with being able to do a cash to/from accrual conversion.
- Examines accounting records, including financial statements and other financial reports to ensure accuracy, completeness and conformance to standards defined within the department.
- Proficient in computer programs such as Microsoft Office and Teams; ProSystems a plus.
- Assist in client communications including memos, updates, instructions, etc.
- Works with confidential client matters.
- Hands on experience with review and complex preparation of Forms 990, 990-PF, 990-T and state charitable registrations
- Provide tax compliance and advisory services to Tax-Exempt organizations.
- Manage a portfolio of clients of varying size and scope, acting as the point of contact.
- Build and manage client relationships.
- Manage teams of tax professionals and assistants working on client projects.
- Manage risk and financial performance of engagements including billing, collections and budget for projects.
- Responsible for delivering high quality tax service and advice.
- Assist Directors with all aspects; inclusive technical reviews, staff training/development/management, etc.
- Research and write complex tax issues and matters.
- Provide tax compliance, tax provision, and tax advisory services to tax-exempt organizations with an emphasis on higher education institutions, associations, healthcare entities, social service organizations and grant-making foundations including private foundation.s
- Assist in supervising, developing and coaching professional tax staff.
- Help develop and manage client relationships.
- Provide timely and unmatched client service, exceeding client expectations.
- Represent Freed Maxick in the marketplace at networking events.
- Participate in the proposal process for potential new clients.
- Contribute to Freed Maxick-sponsored technical guidance for internal and external publication and to internal learning and development sessions.
- Work with the team to assign projects and resolve scheduling conflicts.
- BS in Accounting, MS in Taxation a plus.
- Active CPA license
- 10+ years of progressive public accounting experience
- Hands-on experience with review and preparation of Form 990, Form 990-PF and state charitable registrations.
- Knowledge of unrelated business tax, benefit and other tax-exemption/non-profit organization issues.
- Experience with individual and corporate taxes a plus.
- Possess effective technical knowledge related to work engagements.
- Excellent organization, problem solving, critical/analytical thinking, written and oral communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated understanding and proper application of rules, regulations and codes of conduct of relevant governing bodies (i.e. State Boards of Accountancy, IRS, AICPA, etc).
- Relevant progressive experience in public accounting or a combination of corporate tax and experience in public accounting
- A strong sense of ownership for delivering high quality service to client service and experience servicing multiple client engagements
- Excellent supervisory, team building and time management skills
- Ability to work well with a team, as well as independently
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent time management skills to ensure deadlines are met.
- A problem-solving attitude
- Willingness to take initiative
- Precise attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure and against deadlines
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
THIS POSITION CAN BE DONE REMOTELY
APPLICATIONS FROM OUTSIDE OF WESTERN NEW YORK WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Join Freed Maxick and experience:
- Meaningful and impactful work
- Competitive bonus and compensation package
- Medical, dental, vision, life insurances, short and long-term disability coverage
- 401(k) with match and profit-sharing
- Individualized Flexible Work schedules
- Continuous CPE to keep your technical and soft skills sharp
- Unique sociable culture
- Growth, Leadership and Promotion opportunities
Please send resume, requested salary range and cover letter in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org.